Wednesday 25 May 2011

Doing something right

I must be doing something right as I found out yesterday that the charity is paying for me to do NVQ`s in retail. I did find it slightly amusing and ironic that I, someone who disapproves of the consumer society which has overtaken and gobbled up most of our traditional industries, (far too many old works sites turned into supermarkets or indoor shopping centres), that I am going to end up a shopping expert (tongue in cheek at "expert").

I`m actually very pleased, something else to get my teeth into and if it helps the charity I`m chuffed. I did sneak a look at the sales figures and mine were way higher than anyone else's (did i mention I love to WIN and in winning all forms of modesty go whizzing out the window!!).

I`m also very pleased that my youngest daughter has asked to help with the children's hospice fundraising. Tomorrow at school they have a celebration day to mark the end of most of their gcse`s. They get to wear fancy dress, outdoor buffet/party, free ice cream van etc. So she and her friends are heading off to school tomorrow, dressed as Robin Hood and his merry men, armed with lots of info, posters and collecting tins.

Why quite so much charity work, because it`s given me a purpose, without it all I could think of was "what the hells the point", I felt like an oxygen waster. Now at least my small contribution may be helping someone somewhere.

3 comments:

  1. Good on ya Sue...it sounds like you've found a good way to help people and help yourself in the process.

    I agree that tearing down old factories, buildings etc only to be replaced by supermarkets is daft. Some of the old motorcycle factories are gone now because of this and as a result no-one will even remember the old names due to Tesco, Sainsbury what have you now being there. Shame really.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done Sue; I, too, work in retailing now, and see what you mean......despite the fact that I'd rather be doing something else, I do get a lot of satisfaction out of helping people, even if it can be rather frustrating at times. One good thing about doing an NVQ is that you'll have proof of your skills to take elsewhere if you want or need to and you are, of course, helping the charity too.

    ReplyDelete