Monday 11 April 2011

Battle of the sexes

I`m guilty of making huge sweeping generalities, this one has nothing to do with what people look like, how rich or poor, intelligent or not, this gripe is purely about gender (sfb can be excluded from this). I`ll probably insult both sexes but in my experience (as all people are not the same), men are by far the most sensitive of the sexes and women can be very ruthless. Perhaps it`s due to the feminist thing that women feel they have to be tough but they`ve not only won equality but have lost something along the way.

An example, on Friday I had virtually the same conversation with two people, the first a woman around my age, I was talking about how I was feeling and her advice was to put on some lippy and go out and flirt to cheer myself up (I thought she was mad), the second was a man covered in tattoos and piercings who said not to worry or rush things. One example but not a one off.

I can`t remember the last time I had a full nights sleep and after a busy week there I was sitting having my new tattoo done (I love daisies and instead of taking flowers to the cemetery to wither I have my own special flowers for Cliffy), the tingly feeling is very relaxing and I almost dozed off.

5 comments:

  1. I think in a way the whole "battle of the sexes" thing tends to be self-perpetuating, with many of the "combatants" being that way because they can't think of anything better to do.
    You are quite right about some women being ruthless, I've heard conversations between women where some of the stuff that is said about men has been pretty unpleasant to be honest; mind you it can be a case of "six of one and half a dozen of the other"; the stuff some blokes come out with being as bad.
    That woman's comment about lippy and flirting just shows a complete lack of understanding of where you are at, whereas the guy is obviously more on your wavelength.
    I interact with several hundred people in a shift at work; of all ages, race, gender, social status etc.....all I can really say is that everyone is different, there's more to it than just gender......and I have met a (very) few people who I find, frankly, pretty bloody unpleasant, and cannot "connect" with at a basic level. Is it them, or is it me? Or a bit of both? Dunno!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue you're right....we have a woman here at work who curses worse than a sailor and is extremely rude, the stereotypical New Yorker does exist.

    There's a woman supervisor at another station who will do anything to get ahead. Even if she knows it's wrong, she will do whatever she thinks is necessary to further her goals.

    Some of the guys are the nicest you could meet on the other hand..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can talk away and get on with most people, all that really matters is that they`re nice the other trappings don`t matter a hoot (although I hate rudeness). And yes, I know what groups of blokes talk about, same as groups of women, but this is more on a one to one level. Even as a teenager my best mate was a lad I`d grown up with, I got fed up with my female friends as all they mostly talked about was who`d copied who`s haircut or frock or was trying to pinch someones boyfriend. And nothings changed, when I`ve a houseful of teenagers it`s the boys who are far more polite.
    Now I`ll put my big sweeping paintbrush away (and yes I do know a number of nice women) and as was said....Maybe it`s me.....big wide grin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for excluding me from that, Sue!

    My best friend was a bloke, someone I could talk to about anything and know that he wasn't going to be judgemental. Sadly, he died a few years ago.

    Are a lot of women more competitive, do you think? I work with someone who, in many ways, seems to see other women as a potential threat. On more than one occasion, I've encountered women bikers who have seemed to feel a bit threatened by another woman on a bike - they'd rather be the only one! I don't want to make sweeping statements, there are plenty of women NOT like that. I suppose it is just that it always seems rather strange when it does happen because it seems so unnecessary.....

    Like you, I have no interest in nail polish, so perhaps that inevitably makes us less likely to encounter other women on the same wavelength! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In places I`ve worked where the majority are women I`ve find it more cliquey, this camp and that each gossiping about the other, I tend to wade into all of them but sometimes it`s a hassle remembering who likes who and who doesn`t.

    The I want to be the only girl on a bike thing sounds much like I want to be the only girl with this haircut etc etc to attract attention I suppose.

    ReplyDelete