Saturday 2 April 2011

Weekends

I used to love weekends they were always fun, now they are just more days to fill. On a pension and someone who lives very modestly I could have spent the rest of my life sitting on my backside but in a life that now feels so meaningless I decided to do something worthwhile.

Paid jobs in the charity sector usually require graduates, I left education after A levels and after a couple of years doing spreadsheets I never really wanted to sit behind a desk again. So for now I`m a volunteer, manual, tiring and best of all worthwhile, plus I get to work weekends so less time to think and dwell.

I`d received some birthday money from Mum, it was going to go in the new guttering fund but she insisted it was to be spent on me not the house. I hate buying things for me, never know what I want but yesterday after a day of sorting and carrying, I decided my left arm looked rather bare so on my way home popped into see young Dan (the kids tell me off for adding the prefix young to anyone under around 30)  So I`m booked in for new tattoo on Friday, they`re lovely in there and Dan doesn`t mind my constant chattering.

After grabbing a sandwich I settled down to watch Brief Encounter, the kids hate it because "Nothing happens", "But the atmosphere, the bit where she says goodbye from the train, the romance", I say but no the kids have none of my sentiment which is maybe a good thing in a world full of sharp edges.

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you're doing something good Sue.

    Sitting about like the welfare dossers wouldn't be good in the long run.

    I see it work, people who don't do anything but expect a dole check from others are working hard.

    What kind of volunteering is it....something good such as shelter dogs, OAPs who need assistance or someething similar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I`m sorting through donations from the public that charity shops don`t want as it wouldn`t sell and whereas people in this country don`t want jumpers with bobbly bit on or a bit out of date there are those in other parts of the world who have nothing and would be grateful to have a shirt on their back. For example Zimbabwe, refugees to this country have mostly had to leave behind whole families including elderly relatives who were dependant on them, so a number of airlines give these clothes free passage so they can be given to those in need.

    ReplyDelete