Monday 28 March 2011

Easy Prey

I was approached the other day by a big bloke with a beard and wearing a Suzuki t-shirt, "you look sad", he said. I recognised him straight away as the biker minister from the local community church. He was a pleasant sort of guy so I voiced my support for the foodbank he`d set up, giving food that the big supermarkets would otherwise throw away to those in need and for the free lunches his church gave to the same. But then it came, the spanner in the works to ruin any nice chat, "lets say a prayer together, gods looking out for you and Jesus loves you", he said. I think he was rather taken back by the horror in my voice, "No, that would be totally hypocritical of me and although jesus may have been a nice bloke, son of god, I don`t think so",

Then the jehovah witnesses, who I`d normally turn away, had come to the door when I was crying, I need of a chat I rambled on, after their second visit I thought I`d bored them away as an hour standing on someones doorstep must be tedious. But they were back this week and told me Cliff would be back on the day of reckoning, "in spirit" I questioned, "Oh no, flesh and blood", they said. So after much digging as they were trying so hard to avoid any answer, which I already knew, they said it. Nothing at all to do with how nice someone is, doesn`t matter if they are selfless and kind. This one off offer is to paid up members only!!

So no, I`m not about to be sucked into some religion to ease my pain but do I believe that there is more to life than science can explain and prove, yes. If we were nothing more than genes and synapses then I think the world would be a very boring place.

No comments:

Post a Comment