Wednesday 1 June 2011

Comments

Sorry I`ve not being answering comments lately, I`m unable to comment as each time I try it asks for log in, then starts to go round in circles, seems a cache.cookie or browser problem according to other bloggers so will be trying to sort it out.

As for seagulls, my little town in clip used to have seagull egg removals as the vast amount of droppings were coating buildings.

Also I appreciate support re how I`m doing, job etc given in comments. I`ve worked in retail before, loved my customers but sometimes when things became slow it got a bit tedious but this is so varied and the shops always busy with either customers or donations arriving. I was chatting to an old academic gentleman the other day, he was on the hunt for any books to do with Bletchley Park.

"Are you from Somerset" he asked in a thick Eire accent (I was a bit dumbfounded at that one??!!). When I told him where I was from we got onto the Scottish education system which from experience I must say is far better than in England.  In Scotland the kids had nightly reading homework, with diarys so parents could comment on how things were going, any concerns etc with the teacher adding her thoughts alongside. Basically the kids got lots of reading practise with fewer falling through the net and ending up leaving school with literacy problems.

On the other hand when I started secondary school back in the 1970`s it was all a bit daunting. An ex grammer school, very formal, with dark oak panelling, huge prizewinners boards dominating the staircases and teachers with black cloaks and mortar board hats peering over large wooden desks. We sat in rows, alphabetical order and in silence, anyone who`s had a short, thick three pronged leather belt whacked down on their hands will realise why.

These days my daughter says half the lesson is spent with the teacher trying to get the kids to sit down and pay attention, those who wonder out of lesson and/or school are chased by security with walky-talkies (health and safety issue more than educational, as school would be sued if say they were run over during school hours).

Is it the parents or the teachers who perhaps have given up due to the stress of it all (little teaching, handouts are now the norm). Is it children having children, or even that when I had my kids discipline was almost frowned upon, my own experience of softly softly didn`t work, the old saying "give them an inch" is more than true.

Personally I think there needs to be balance, you shouldn`t dread going to school but neither should it be a playground where you sit and text your friends in other classrooms

Oops!! I only meant to say thanks to my supporters but once I start to waffle on!

1 comment:

  1. In my opinion, it's blamr across the board. Paeents who are too bloody lazy to teach their kids discipline or any type of resonsibilty.....perhaps they figure that the schools will take care of it for them.

    The teachers get the dirty job of trying to teach the little yobs while at the same time having to discipline the little snots.

    Of course if they did that, they get bollocked for doing it.

    It basically comes down to taking resonsibility for their own actions....which they don't do.

    When I went to the Comphrehensive in Brackly, none there were little angels...when it merged with the girls high school and Magdalen College school, it got worse as it was case of us vs them.

    Don't think it was bad as you're descibing it though Sue....we knew there were limits. Of course this was back in the day of the dinosaur....the 70s....before cell phones, texting and the BS.

    ReplyDelete