Tuesday 28 June 2011

Just a blether

Yes, laser eye surgery, I`ve considered that but don`t think I`m brave enough as the what if something goes wrong question keeps popping into my head. My Mums nearly lost her sight now, she had laser surgery for her cataracts as everyone kept saying what a great difference it made. However she also has glaucoma so when the cataracts were removed, the glaucoma was so advanced it made no difference. Because glaucoma may run in families I qualify for free eye tests because of this and am over 40, this includes field vision, where I have to stare ahead and press buttons when I see dots at side of vision, they also shoot a short sharp blast of air onto my eye to measure the pressure, "don`t blink" he says, argh very hard when you know whats coming.

Mum also has severe arthritis, she`s had both her hips replaced but it`s in her spine, infact most of her joints. Before I moved south I used to care for her and went in daily, now my sister does with the added help of carers to help her get dressed in the morning and bed at night as she`s determined that she doesn`t want to leave her own home.

Over 40, couple of years and I`ll be 50 doesn`t time fly. me, I see it as a number and don`t give a toss, my sister however dreads these birthdays and looking old. So a couple of years ago on her birthday, one she was dreading I gave her a mug with an especially large 40 on it! (wicked maybe, funny, yes!!).

I`m amazed at the amount of money some women spend on their quest for youth, lotions and potions all with empty promises and large price tags. Our town is awash with beauty salons where you can botox your wrinkles away or even worse some women I know send their husbands to be waxed, yuk, men are meant to be furry, oops brakes on cos that`s a whole different subject <grin>.

Anyway, I`m going to make an appointment at another optician today, I`ll take the offending pair and see what they say about the prescription, quite nice frames, brushed stainless.

1 comment:

  1. My ex's decision to have laser surgery was mainly motivated by the nuisance of having to wear specs, she'd needed them from childhood.
    I think the vari-focals fiasco was one thing that helped the decision.
    It was done at East Grinstead, where the level of expertise is second to none; I must admit that if I needed something like this, I'd sooner have it done there than in a high street shop.
    Which brings us neatly to the "beauty" industry; I share your scepticism about all this stuff....the latest "thing" seems to involve small fish nibbling the dead skin off your feet.
    Ironically, there's an advert for this in the local chippy........!
    It worries me that various quasi-medical procedures are being carried out by people without a medical background; ah well, caveat emptor I suppose.
    Age? It doesn't really bother me that much, 4 and a bit years til I'm 50, just hoping "they" are right and 50 really is the new 40!
    I wish you better luck with the new optician, Sue!

    ReplyDelete