Monday 27 June 2011

Reply to Simon

I still can`t access "comments" but answering this way is fine.

The glasses issue, when I picked them up I noticed that I coudn`t focus right but was told that I`d get used to them. So I tried wearing them round the house but basically they made me feel dizzy. They also don`t fit right, they hurt the bridge of my nose (that`s my fault though, bone isn`t right due to accident when young) and the legs are far too long. I`ve a small head and the optician bent the legs so they fitted my ears but when I tried them on with my helmet the excess leg length pushed them so far forwards they fell off my nose.

So I`m going to book an appointment with another optician because I would fail the CBT eye test otherwise. I`ve noticed that when I wear sunglasses under my helmet they tend to mist up, so wondered if that was a problem with glasses wearers, does your partners glasses mist up Simon?

I absolutely love the sound of engines, if I see a bike goung round the roundabout at the bottom of my street I`ve got to stop so I can listen to it pulling out and if I hear something interesting going down or climbing the hill outside just have to hang out of my bedroom window to listen, they sound especially good at night when all`s quiet. The Morini used to live in my shed (the extension), we started him up in there and boy did he growl. (before new roof so surprised it didn`t cave in).

Whereas Wobble loves distances, doesn`t mind sweeping bends, he doesn`t like tight corners so a small shed mate, something fun for country lanes was always on the cards. Cliff like you was an MZ fan but that Trophy headlamp. ""But it`s the best bit, a functional design feature Susie" he`d say. "Yes, very art deco but it looks out of proportion.....and I don`t like it, perhaps a reshape" says I grinning and waving a hacksaw around. (Hmmm, just thought , maybe it looks more Bauhaus?). Strangely I love art deco and watch old Agatha Christie films just to look at the buildings.

DUF, number plate was bought and still lives in Devon near Barnstable.

Bloody hell I don`t half go on, so to summarise, I miss everything about biking, so will get off me bum and book appointment to get eyes sorted out.

1 comment:

  1. Sue (for that is my (now -ex) partner's name) used to find her glasses misted up, especially on cold, damp mornings......problem being, if she put the visor down on her lid, the visor would mist, put the visor up and the *****y glasses would mist, not fun on a 23-mile ride to work! Sometimes she would use contacts, which had its own problems (need to be very careful of grit, insects, etc.). In the end, she bit the bullet and had laser surgery, which has been pretty successful (she doesn't like riding/driving at night, but then she didn't before, and five years on she still enjoys riding both her bikes without glasses!).
    It doesn't sound like your friendly neighbourhood Specsavers did a very good job to be honest; they should take head shape and any problems like nose bones into account....a comfy pair of glasses is what you pay them for!
    Engines....I've always liked the different sounds of infernal combustion engines, from the diesel trains across the valley when I was little, through various bike engines (and even the odd car). Quite often when I'm sat at work a bike (or bikes) will go past, some I can recognise from the engine sound, others not. They all have their merits, from the "duf-duf" of an old brit single, through the higher-revving XTs, DRs, etc and up to the wail of a modern sportsbike......trouble is, I can't always escape to go and see what's going past.
    I bought my MZ mainly out of curiosity, as I'd never ridden a 2-stroke, also I wanted something a bit smaller than my 1200 Bandit for the back lanes, as it was a bit of a barge. 3 months after I got the MZ, I wrote the Bandit off, so the MZ got used for everything, including several trips to Norfolk, one to the Farmyard Party (N.Yorks) and to my sisters in Wiltshire. It coped wonderfully, although it's currently sidelined with a knackered clutch. I'll get it going for the winter, as I don't want the CB (which is in good condition) to deteriorate too much.
    I think it's only some of the older models that have the headlight nacelle; mine is an early '90s model and has a conventional headlight.
    I've seen several of the older ones, and I reckon the headlight thing looks better in some colours than others.
    The good thing about the CB750 is that it's fine on the back lanes; a genuine all-rounder!

    ReplyDelete